Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy B-day Barbie

Today, it's Barbie's 50th Birthday, and after all these years she still looks stunning and remains a best-seller.
Barbie has always been very controversial concering her adequateness as a kids toy and the distorted image of women she is said to convey.
As for me, I had lots of Barbies, perhaps 40 or so, and 3 Kens and the Jeep, the dream house, and countless outfits....:) and after all I would not consider myself as having been taught a wrong beauty ideal. What I actually want to say is that Barbie is fun and I always enjoyed having them. I guess on the weekend I have to get my old Barbie box out of the basement:)

As you can see below, Barbie experienced quite a developement since her early days...



That's the first Barbie in her striped swimsuit. (Ken used to look so different, too!)
I guess, that's the Barbie of my era with a huge fringe, bright make-up and all the funky outfits:)


Well and that's today's Barbie with perfect hair and smokey eyes.
These are some of the Designers' versions of Barbie:

Calvin Klein



Anna Sui



And recently Karl styled and photographed some Barbies. They can be admired in form of a little exibition at Colette in Paris from today until March 15.





Pictures: Vogue.de

5 comments:

  1. It's sooo good... genialer post!!! Ist das echt schon 50 Jahre her?
    Das dritt letzte Bild ist ein absoluter Traum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore barbies.. I used to have such a huge collection but hmm I think I'm liking the ones with new smokey eyes and perfect hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used to love playing with barbies so much
    i never thought they were "bad" for children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never came across such a beautiful barbie doll's clothes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Playing with Barbies are one of my clearest and most beloved childhood memories. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete